I am not getting squash TA for web application test automation using selenium

Pankaj

Message par Pankaj »

I am new to squashTA and trying to setup the project.

I have created sample test script in SquashTA by following the tutorial "https://sites.google.com/a/henix.fr/wik ... d-selenium"

whats next now?

how to maintain object repository in Squash TA, manage Test data, test cases, test suites ?

Because without SquashTA also, I can develop my own hybrid framework (keyword+data driven) test automation framework using Selenium+ Java which can properly manage my test cases, Object repository, test data using Page Factory, testng framework etc.

I can only trigger java code from .ta file, but whats use of it if I can do it by normal way which I explained above?
qdusser

Message par qdusser »

Hello Pankaj,

The benefit of the .ta file is not only to trigger java code, but to create and execute independant testcases (or testsuites) by controling your tests data and runing as many action scripts you like.

By using Database plugins you will be able to clean a taregeted database and to populate it conforming to the purpose of the test... before and after the test.
(here are some macro-commands : https://sites.google.com/a/henix.fr/wik ... uts-macros)

.ta files system could also allow you to execute the same script with different datasets. As you're using selenium I would advise you to check out the "Selenium plugin" section in the wiki.

An other benefit of squash TA is the HTML test report generated after running your test, that you will find in target/squashTA/html-reports and that you can open with a Web Browser.

If you're using squash TM as an test repository management, you will appreciate the link between the two technologies (Everithing about it is here : https://sites.google.com/a/henix.fr/wik ... --ta-guide).

Squash TA framework offers you a large pannel of testing options for simplified and more maintainable testcases.

Best regards.
Pankaj

Message par Pankaj »

Thanks Quentin,

I am currently focusing on UI test automation of web application using selenium + squashTA and not on database testing (currently skipping Squash TM).

I have few more queries as below with regards to UI testing of web application only.
1. Does Squash TA has its own set of keywords to write the automation script for web application or do we need to use our own java coding?
2. how to maintain object repository in Squash TA?
3. how to maintain test data in SquashTA? do we need to use our own excel sheet or property file or JSON file or any other means to provide the test data or SquashTA provides some solution on this ?
4. Does SquashTA supports TestNG framework ? or only Junit ?
5. How to do batch execution in Squash TA?
6. How to do Jenkins integration with Squash TA?

Thanks a lot for your help and support.
Pankaj

Message par Pankaj »

Hi Quentin, eagerly waiting for your reply..to my above queries.
qdusser

Message par qdusser »

Hello Pankaj,

You may have too high expectations on what exactly is Squash TA. Squash TA framework interacts with various open source solutions for test automation, such as selenium or sahi, but is no substitute for them.
The TA script uses script resources (ex : java test scripts, if selenium) and combine them with other actions to create test scenarii.

Saying so, to aswer questions 1), 2) and 3) I would say no. Squash TA is not intended to write scripts, maintain objet repository or provide test data. These are what a classic maven projet using Selenium already offers, and this is why Squash TA natively support Maven and Selenium.
However, what would offer the use of Squash TA framework is to organise all these resources (scripts, datasets, properties, DB targets, server targets...) and schedule them within execution strategy. It would also provide clear and organised execution reports.

QUESTION 4) Unfortunatly Squash TA doesn't support testNG to run selenium test. Only Junit. Is it on squash team agenda to get it supported ? It might not be... but as an open source project Squash TA would be happy to have contributors. :)

QUESTION 5) Concerning batch execution in Squash TA. Everything you have to know is in section "Local Process Plugin" in the wiki. To see the macros (shortcuts) to use in TA script, here is the link : https://sites.google.com/a/henix.fr/wik ... uts-macros

QUESTION 6) About Jenkin integration, full documentation is available on our [url=https://sites.google.com/a/henix.fr/wik ... -ta-server]wiki here[/url] :. Please note that next month release will bring a new version of Squash TA Server with a newer Jenkins embeded.

I hope these few words will help you to understand better our product,

Best regards,
Répondre

Revenir à « Selenium Plugin »